IATA’s New Distribution Capability (NDC) initiative is pushing the travel industry to transform the way airline tickets are sold by enabling more control over distribution, content and offers.
Many executives underestimate the cost of making NDC a reality. With up to 500 airlines connected to various GDSs and over 100 actively considering NDC as an option, participants would have to develop and maintain a multitude of connections with numerous airlines.
Making NDC a reality can put extra strain on already tight IT budgets. Those making the step towards NDC will have to:
- Absorb the cost to deploy and maintain every single partner connection
- Manage interoperability between different suppliers independent of the NDC schema
- Maintain additional airline custom implementations
- Consider how to manage data and system security using open application programming interfaces (APIs) to new developers
- Ensure that the NDC-enabled systems can handle requests/traffic from numerous institutions worldwide
In partnership with ATPCO, SITA’s community-driven approach - NDC Exchange - enables quick adoption of NDC at a lower cost to your business.