IATA Resolution 753 came into effect in June 2018.
This resolution requires IATA airlines to keep tabs on every item of baggage from start to finish or, in its own words, “maintain an accurate inventory of baggage by monitoring the acquisition and delivery of baggage”.
BagJourney is SITA’s ready-to-go solution for fulfilling this new resolution by helping to reduce mishandling and costs while improving customer satisfaction.
How SITA can help
Did you know?
Mishandled baggage cost the air transport industry US$2.3 billion
SITA Baggage Management enables airlines to meet Resolution 753 by tracking, tracing and managing baggage from check-in to final destination. This integrated solution helps to ensure more bags are correctly loaded and fewer bags are mishandled all the while enhancing the passenger experience.
SITA Baggage Management:
- Updates airport baggage systems in advance of the bags arriving so that appropriate decisions can be made about how bags should be sorted or loaded
- Matches bags to departing passengers and tracks them in real-time throughout the airport
- Repatriates bags faster and at a lower cost through an industry global database of missing bags
- Tracks bags like parcels and provides a precise picture of a bag’s current global location no matter how many airlines or airports handle the bag
Facts and figures
- 4.65 billion bags were carried
- 22.7 million bags were mishandled
- US$2.3 billion baggage mishandling cost to the industry
This cost needs to be reduced further and makes a compelling case for IATA Resolution 753 to deploy bag tracking throughout the journey.
We have done it for others
At Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport Rome, we’ve implemented the airport’s bag reconciliation, messaging and management systems. Over two years, mishandling rates for airlines using the airport have dropped by 70%, saving the airlines approximately US$36m.
- We innovate
- We advise
- We design
- We manage
With SITA's BagJourney we can follow passengers' bags through every stage of their travels, which helps reduce mishandling and delays.
Abe Dev, Senior Technology Manager, Etihad Airways
Watch the video
Every mishandled bag comes with an unhappy passenger, an unnecessary associated cost and a knock to your reputation. Learn how we can help.
Benchmark your performance against global industry statistics and associated costs of mishandled baggage. Learn what baggage tracking initiatives are tackling the challenge.
Get ready to track and manage bags from check-in to final destination. Be prepared to comply with Resolution 753.